Chris Quilty on Startups in the Space Industry
Space industry analyst Chris Quilty joins host Jason Kanigan on the Cold Star Project to discuss what makes a good startup in the field. As a 20+ year veteran of space and satellite analysis, Chris founded Quilty Analytics in 2016. Jason asks Chris:
- What was it that made you realize opening your own firm was a better idea after 20 years of working for another firm?
- You speak about benchmarking in your profile ⏤ what indicators do you look for that demonstrate a good investment?
- Are space startups offering the exit opportunities investors want?
- How far are we from having a true “commercial space industry”?
- What’s your opinion of SPACs and how gun-shy do you believe investors will be going forward?
- You’ve stated that you believe the regulatory environment for space firms has become more favorable. Can you explain what has been happening and factors contributing to this?
- How is the defense and intelligence community reacting to the emergence of a commercial space industry. Are they resisting or embracing the change?
- Are you seeing out-of-sector venture capital more willing to fund space startups?
- What should these VCs be cautious about and look for as positives?
Quilty Analytics website: https://www.quiltyanalytics.com/
Screenshot of space art: https://coldstarproject.com/quiltyart
OpEx Society: https://www.opexsociety.org
Get new episodes directly in your inbox: https://www.coldstartech.com/msb
Talk to Cold Star: https://coldstartech.com/talktous